Sunday, August 3, 2014

Day Date Disaster

A few weeks ago, I had a wonderful, brilliant idea. I had the afternoon off, I was CRAVING lemon taffy and I thought it would be fun to take Brandon to Keystone to get some. A few weeks prior when we were there, we drove further into the actual town of Keystone and found a historical area that had an old school house and a town museum that I thought we could check out as well. A fun little day date with  my son....

The road trip there went great-minus the fact that I taught my son another road rage word. We made it to Keystone and by the grace of God, found a parking spot. It was HOT and muggy that day but I figured we'd make the most of it and get some ice cream later. 

We got to the boardwalk and Brandon immediately found a Spiderman car to sit in. He sat in it and liked touching everything on it but refused to let me put money in it so he could ride it. 



We made it down the boardwalk (Brandon only tripped on a floor board once) and purchased our 1 pound bag of taffy without incident, which Brandon insisted on carrying.



After we left the Taffy store, I thought this would be a good time to get some ice cream. We walked into a place two doors down and it was PACKED. 25+ people in a teeny tiny store. We finally make our way to the front of the line and I ordered Brandon a scoop of cookies and cream ice cream, something he ALWAYS gets. Big mistake. As the kid is dishing up the ice cream, Brandon literally throws himself to the floor and starts screaming that he wants rainbow ice cream instead. Unbelievable. I take the ice cream from the young man who clearly thinks I'm insane, I drag my child by his arm to the register, order myself a nice cold drink and hand her my credit card. The girl looks at me and says those dreaded words "I'm sorry. We only take cash." What. The. HELL??? I look around as the line starts to form behind me, my kid is still on the ground screaming and think to myself  "Is this really happening to me right now?" For anyone who knows me, I never carry cash. It doesn't last long when I have it so I just don't carry it. I looked at her and said "Are you kidding me?" Just as I'm seriously thinking of leaving the ice cream and making a run for it, I remembered that before I left town I stopped at the Credit Union to get some $1's for the store and I had them zipped up in a section of my purse. THANK YOU GOD. I ended up owing the Mustard Seed $4.25.

I finally got everything paid for, Brandon started to settle down and I got him to carry his ice cream. We started walking out the door and Brandon trips on the landing of the door and falls on the sidewalk with his ice cream smashed into the concrete. Awesome. He bursts into tears and I can't tell if he's hurt or embarrassed. I scoop him up, grab the ice cream off the side walk and just started running. We stopped at the train station where I scraped off the part of the ice cream that landed on the cement and we sat and tried to enjoy our treats. 


About 2 1/2 minutes after we got settled down from our 2nd disaster, the gun show started about 30 feet from where were were sitting and that was it. Brandon TOTALLY lost it. He covered his ears and started screaming "Go home Momma! Go home!" And that is exactly what we did. 

A fun filled day date with my son. It took us longer to drive there than it did to actually be there. If anything, it makes for a good story I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment